My mother tongues are Gujarati and Hindi which I'm fluent in. Also,I can speak French and German reasonably well and can understand Urdu and Punjabi quite well so I'm quite Multilingual or Quadlingual?.......Recently as part of my G.C.S.E German course I had the opportunity to visit Berlin. I think it was absolutely amazing experience,it help practice my language skills in a real context and made me realise that what theoretically in class is really useful in the real world and what may seem Gibberish at first is a doorway to a new world to explore and communication with others you aren't likely to talk to...if you don't speak their language.
The Facts
Around 75% of the world's population don’t speak a word of English and a grasp of a different language improves your abilities to use your first language and explore other cultures more successfully.
According to research, on average, people who use languages in their jobs earn around 8% more!
Many scientists also believe that knowledge of another language can boost your brainpower. A study of monolingual and bilingual speakers suggests speaking two languages can help slow down the brain's decline with age. And to quote Nelson Mandela, "If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart." -Ref.www.bbc.co.uk
According to research, on average, people who use languages in their jobs earn around 8% more!
Many scientists also believe that knowledge of another language can boost your brainpower. A study of monolingual and bilingual speakers suggests speaking two languages can help slow down the brain's decline with age. And to quote Nelson Mandela, "If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart." -Ref.www.bbc.co.uk
Bilingualism brings with it many benefits: it makes the learning of additional languages easier, enhances the thinking process and fosters contacts with other people and their cultures.
Bilingualism and plurilingualism entail economic advantages, too: jobs are more easily available to those who speak several languages, and multilingual companies have a better competitive edge than monolingual ones.
There are about 225 indigenous languages in Europe - roughly 3% of the world’s total.
Most of the world’s languages are spoken in Asia and Africa.
Phrases
German
Ich heisse.... My name is....
Ich bin.......jahre alt.....I am....years old....
Hallo/Guten tag/Guten Morgen/Abend .....Hello/Good Day/Good Morning/Evening
French
J'em appelle....My name is
J'ai.....ans I am...years old
Bonjour..Hello/Good Day
Hope everyone realise the importance of languages and may one
day love them as much as i do! :)
Thanks
Jemini :)
No comments:
Post a Comment